Skip to main content

God's Got Jokes.... But It's a Good One



       As I was getting prepared for my LSAT and my mastectomy, my doctor decided it was a good idea to change my sleeping pill. As someone who has suffered from chronic insomnia for years this was a terrible time to do it. We went from Ambien (which worked fine) to another drug I can't recall the name of, to Lunesta. Lunesta is a disgusting tasting pill that stays with you all day. It's in your food when you eat, your milk when you drink, and for me, it made me extremely nauseous. I tried it for several weeks and finally thought to myself, no. This isn't working. Andrew and I discussed it and decided I needed to head to the doctor. But before that, I wanted to take a pregnancy test and get it out of the way, so they didn't ask. I hate that question.
       


 Needless to say, a positive pregnancy test after about 15 years of trying to have a child was NOT what I was expecting. Especially when Andrew and I had decided that we weren't going to have kids. So I hop, skipped and jumped my way to the doctor to make sure this wasn't wrong. After doing all the applicable testing and ultra sounding, the doctor said the test was positive! I am truly pregnant. The year before I graduate. And go to law school. But I digress. So here's the first ultrasound a few weeks ago at 7 weeks.


Because of my Hughes Syndrome and my wonky vein disease, we were concerned about me getting pregnant which was why we didn't try. So I was worried about how to tell Andrew. I knew he would be concerned. I decided to just have him come up to the doctors office so he would have a professional to talk to when he found out. When he walked into the patient room I just handed him the ultrasound. Here is his face, because you know I was snapping photos.


         Obviously a happy guy. So after talking to my doctor, she said many people with my disease have healthy pregnancies all the time. Provided they are being treated. Of course, I'm high risk due to the disease and the fact that I'll be 35 when the baby is born, but that just means I'll be monitored closely and so will the baby. That took Andrew's worry from about a 13 to a 7. After talking to my blood doctor, he believes the Hughes is less of an issue than my crazy veins in my lower extremities. He's more concerned about my uterus putting pressure on those crazy veins. So that took Andrew's worry from a 7 to about a 4. Which I can handle. 
  
           So we're having a baby! It took a few weeks for me to get past the (I'm sad to say) resentment of having to slow down my education plans, and to be excited about the baby. Now I'm thankful that God has decided to bless us with this baby. All I ever wanted was Andrew's baby. Now we're just praying for a healthy pregnancy and baby, and Andrew and I are both committed to me graduating law school. Period. 

          So. Today I'm 10 weeks. My belly basically looks like I'm fat. Everyone who sees me says, "Oh the baby belly!" I don't see it. Thankfully, my nausea stopped last week. Before that it was so bad that I couldn't eat anything. Now most everything sounds fine. Except Mexican food, which I used to be able to eat all the time. My feet and legs are already swollen, thanks to those wonky veins, and I can't wear my entire set of rings, just my wedding band. 

           Baby is the size of a prune. We're hoping for a boy, but honestly, I don't care. I just want a healthy baby. Because of my disease, not only do I get to take the prenatal vitamin every day. But I also get to have a shot of Lovenox in my belly every day. Andrew has been the one giving them to me, and he's gotten quite good. I really thought he'd be the guy who didn't really become "daddy" until he held his baby. I was wrong. It took about 12 hours for him to go from "I hate kids" to "awwww look at the baby!"

           The good news is that after trying to adopt and that not working, after two miscarriages, and fertility drugs, and everything, God allowed us to get pregnant when we least expected it, and when we have the best access to the most phenomenal doctors. So regardless of my plans, I know God has this and so does Andrew. 

          That sheepish grin is on the way out of the doctors office. Everyone kept calling him daddy. And this is ten weeks. Please Lord let it be only one child. 

      So if you read my blog, please pray for a healthy baby and Mom, and for Andrew not to go crazy trying to deal with my weepiness. 











Comments

Unknown said…
I love it that you are pregnant. My heart hurt for you before, but now...it is full of happiness for you. You will be an amazing Mommy, God will give you the perfect child for you.

Popular posts from this blog

Don't Ignore The Pain of Infertility

This week is National Infertility Awareness Week and the fine people at RESOLVE have challenged Bloggers to write a blog post with the theme of “Don’t Ignore Infertility”. In your life, in the lives of your family and friends, don’t ignore infertility. The words that so make so many of our hearts drop to our feet are: “Just relax, it will happen” and “Just trust God’s will”.  These (and others) are phrases that I can’t stand. They are meant to be helping words. Kind words. Words to uplift and give encouragement. And yet as quick as they are spoken, they cut to the quick and cause resentment, anger and bitterness. Some people experience infertility and never have biological children. Others have children and experience infertility after that, called secondary infertility . Either way, it hurts. There is no cure, and the best that we can hope for is to find some other (albeit very costly) way to get pregnant or have that child we dream of. I got married last week to a wonderful m

Anxiety, Caregiving, Separation from Kids and other anxiety and depression related things

 Today was a super hard day.  Yesterday I was supposed to leave with The Man to go to California for a vacation. Something everyone, including Momma said I needed. Well, American Airlines canceled the flight due to the weather in DFW.  I took a 1/4 of my Xanax (which I've never taken) to sleep last night and woke up feeling emotionally, physically and mentally unstable in an EXTREME way. Add to that when I'm away from The Boy from more than a few days it really hits my depression in a way that nothing else, even the stuff with my Momma does.  Today was taxing. It was hard to keep my head on straight and I felt like I was going crazy. I felt as if I couldn't control anything and needed to be hospitalized. Not because I'm suicidal or even depressed. But because my level of stress and anxiety is so beyond the norm that I felt like I just needed to be placed somewhere safe without anything to say, do, or experience. Except The Boy.  The Man is amazed by my level of love for

More Things They Don't Tell You

They don't tell you that you'll come home after the first visit to the Cancer Treatment Center and your plants will be dead. Not the "I forgot to water it" dead. But DEAD.    That the first thing you think upon entering the house and depositing your bag is, "Shit. Everything around me is dying." Or that weeks later you'll be listening to your boyfriend and friends playing bluegrass and you'll think of your mom. Asleep in her bed with that ridiculously hilarious sleep mask on.  How is she losing weight when she's eating 8 times a day? Did you know there's a name for "wasting away"? It's cachexia.  I hate the phrase wasting away. As if someone isn't doing something to try and help. My brothers and sister in law and I are keeping sharp tabs on her medical notes and feeding her healthy, high calorie protein rich food. But it just falls right off. Maybe we're just trying to WILL her body to start acting eight.  Ho