Skip to main content

She Decided Not To Live

“And yet, her death had so many more actual causes.

Bullying. The neglect of a school district to handle the problem. Parents of the bullies who declined to take their kids’ behavior seriously.

And chief among them all, the fact that multiple eleven and twelve-year-old children were in the possession of smartphones and social media accounts.”





Y’all. I don’t know when we’ll see it. I mean- actually see it. This epidemic that is sweeping through our country and has been for years. Suicide is the second leading cause of death for youth between the ages of 10 and 24. SECOND. Between TEN YEARS OLD and twenty four. 

There were 1748 deaths by suicide in 2013 among teens aged 15 to 19 years old, and this number might actually be higher, as “some of these deaths may have been recorded as accidental.”

“In fact, reports show that 43% of teens have reported being bullied online, compared to 19.6% of those at school. With teen suicide rates being higher, the correlation between these deaths and social media may not be so far off.”

Where are we failing our kids? Is it the handing off of smart phones? The allowance of social media? The lack of parental involvement? Is there a digital distraction that keeps us from speaking to our children about these things?

In Ohio, an EIGHT YEAR OLD boy killed himself after being bullied. Was social media involved this time? No. Does it matter? No. A baby. He somehow got it in his head that death was a good idea. Who put that thought in his head? Can you imagine being that Mom?

She came home, called for her son. She didn’t hear him so she went to his room. And her baby was hanging from a necktie. Dead. Her baby. 

When eight and ten year old kids, twelve, seventeen year old kids, are killing themselves in these numbers, it’s time we ask ourselves what WE are doing wrong as parents. Does your kid need a phone? Maybe. Does your kid need a smartphone? I don’t know. Mine sure doesn’t. In fact, I’m not sure if The Boy needs a social media account. The definition of “need” is to require something that is essential. Is a social media account essential? No. It’s not. And neither is handing our ten year old an iPhone.

We get so worked up - I know, I do it too - about mass shootings. But how sad is that, really, compared to these babies who felt so badly about themselves that they decided not to live? 

If your baby decides not to live and you find him or her hanging by a necktie, will it be an issue then?









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Don't Ignore The Pain of Infertility

This week is National Infertility Awareness Week and the fine people at RESOLVE have challenged Bloggers to write a blog post with the theme of “Don’t Ignore Infertility”. In your life, in the lives of your family and friends, don’t ignore infertility. The words that so make so many of our hearts drop to our feet are: “Just relax, it will happen” and “Just trust God’s will”.  These (and others) are phrases that I can’t stand. They are meant to be helping words. Kind words. Words to uplift and give encouragement. And yet as quick as they are spoken, they cut to the quick and cause resentment, anger and bitterness. Some people experience infertility and never have biological children. Others have children and experience infertility after that, called secondary infertility . Either way, it hurts. There is no cure, and the best that we can hope for is to find some other (albeit very costly) way to get pregnant or have that child we dream of. I got married last week to a wonderful m

Anxiety, Caregiving, Separation from Kids and other anxiety and depression related things

 Today was a super hard day.  Yesterday I was supposed to leave with The Man to go to California for a vacation. Something everyone, including Momma said I needed. Well, American Airlines canceled the flight due to the weather in DFW.  I took a 1/4 of my Xanax (which I've never taken) to sleep last night and woke up feeling emotionally, physically and mentally unstable in an EXTREME way. Add to that when I'm away from The Boy from more than a few days it really hits my depression in a way that nothing else, even the stuff with my Momma does.  Today was taxing. It was hard to keep my head on straight and I felt like I was going crazy. I felt as if I couldn't control anything and needed to be hospitalized. Not because I'm suicidal or even depressed. But because my level of stress and anxiety is so beyond the norm that I felt like I just needed to be placed somewhere safe without anything to say, do, or experience. Except The Boy.  The Man is amazed by my level of love for

More Things They Don't Tell You

They don't tell you that you'll come home after the first visit to the Cancer Treatment Center and your plants will be dead. Not the "I forgot to water it" dead. But DEAD.    That the first thing you think upon entering the house and depositing your bag is, "Shit. Everything around me is dying." Or that weeks later you'll be listening to your boyfriend and friends playing bluegrass and you'll think of your mom. Asleep in her bed with that ridiculously hilarious sleep mask on.  How is she losing weight when she's eating 8 times a day? Did you know there's a name for "wasting away"? It's cachexia.  I hate the phrase wasting away. As if someone isn't doing something to try and help. My brothers and sister in law and I are keeping sharp tabs on her medical notes and feeding her healthy, high calorie protein rich food. But it just falls right off. Maybe we're just trying to WILL her body to start acting eight.  Ho