Skip to main content

Breast Cancer Surgeons and Italian Food

Yesterday was my very first, successful breast surgeon appointment. By successful, I mean I didn't run screaming into the parking lot. So there's that.

Dr. Winchester at St. Vincent's in Birmingham (Yes, I'm totally plugging her) is amazing. We got there at 4:30 pm. The appointment was at 5. We walked out at around 7:45 after being called back in around 7:00. When we first arrived, even at that late hour, the waiting room was full. Which was surprising, but not THAT surprising.

Because I have no cancer and no cells that may be cancer, my appointment consisted mainly of meeting, taking a measure of each other, and then getting my vitals and history. She made sure to give me all my choices to prevent cancer, aside from the mastectomy that I was there to talk about. She examined me and said I was perfect for what's called a "nipple sparing prophylactic mastectomy". We'll call that NSPM for short from now on. So she explained that she does the best NSPM ever and that my boobs are perfect for this procedure.

After the examine we discussed my history in depth more, because it was important that I tell her about my Hughes Syndrome (for more on that you can go here), as well as my other surgeries and to talk about a plastic surgeon. Originally I was going to go to Nashville for a consult, but after meeting Dr. Winchester, no. No ma'am. Staying right here in Birmingham. She said she would have a couple of names of people who would be able to work with my Hughes and still be able to do pretty work by the end of the month, so now we wait.

The really awesome part about this lady was that when I thanked her for being open and continuing to take patients into the late hour (after telling us "God Bless") she said, "Well, this is my calling." Then she smiled and walked out the door.

Andrew and I had been talking about how we weren't going to see anyone that didn't see this as helping women. Neither I nor he wants to pay someone who only wants to do what they want, the job, get the money, don't get sued, and go home. And I sincerely believe that this woman is an angel sent by God to do His work. So....

I turned to Andrew when the door shut and set, "We're not going to Nashville. We're staying right here with her."


It was a pretty encouraging meeting and I'm super excited to go ahead and get started on this. I have several school things planned for the summer and was going to take classes (which my dad thinks I can still do) so we'll see how it goes.

And then my sweet husband Andrew took me out for Italian food because we were STARVIIINNGGG and it was time to eat. So I got appetizers, food, salad, wine. And it was amazing. He makes me laugh. He's such a good guy. And he's staring at me waiting for me to finish this sooooo....

For now I'm going to sleep, because I have to leave for ORCS tomorrow.

Choose the happy!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Don't Ignore The Pain of Infertility

This week is National Infertility Awareness Week and the fine people at RESOLVE have challenged Bloggers to write a blog post with the theme of “Don’t Ignore Infertility”. In your life, in the lives of your family and friends, don’t ignore infertility. The words that so make so many of our hearts drop to our feet are: “Just relax, it will happen” and “Just trust God’s will”.  These (and others) are phrases that I can’t stand. They are meant to be helping words. Kind words. Words to uplift and give encouragement. And yet as quick as they are spoken, they cut to the quick and cause resentment, anger and bitterness. Some people experience infertility and never have biological children. Others have children and experience infertility after that, called secondary infertility . Either way, it hurts. There is no cure, and the best that we can hope for is to find some other (albeit very costly) way to get pregnant or have that child we dream of. I got married last week to a wonderful m

Anxiety, Caregiving, Separation from Kids and other anxiety and depression related things

 Today was a super hard day.  Yesterday I was supposed to leave with The Man to go to California for a vacation. Something everyone, including Momma said I needed. Well, American Airlines canceled the flight due to the weather in DFW.  I took a 1/4 of my Xanax (which I've never taken) to sleep last night and woke up feeling emotionally, physically and mentally unstable in an EXTREME way. Add to that when I'm away from The Boy from more than a few days it really hits my depression in a way that nothing else, even the stuff with my Momma does.  Today was taxing. It was hard to keep my head on straight and I felt like I was going crazy. I felt as if I couldn't control anything and needed to be hospitalized. Not because I'm suicidal or even depressed. But because my level of stress and anxiety is so beyond the norm that I felt like I just needed to be placed somewhere safe without anything to say, do, or experience. Except The Boy.  The Man is amazed by my level of love for

More Things They Don't Tell You

They don't tell you that you'll come home after the first visit to the Cancer Treatment Center and your plants will be dead. Not the "I forgot to water it" dead. But DEAD.    That the first thing you think upon entering the house and depositing your bag is, "Shit. Everything around me is dying." Or that weeks later you'll be listening to your boyfriend and friends playing bluegrass and you'll think of your mom. Asleep in her bed with that ridiculously hilarious sleep mask on.  How is she losing weight when she's eating 8 times a day? Did you know there's a name for "wasting away"? It's cachexia.  I hate the phrase wasting away. As if someone isn't doing something to try and help. My brothers and sister in law and I are keeping sharp tabs on her medical notes and feeding her healthy, high calorie protein rich food. But it just falls right off. Maybe we're just trying to WILL her body to start acting eight.  Ho