Skip to main content

Breast Cancer Surgeons and Italian Food

Yesterday was my very first, successful breast surgeon appointment. By successful, I mean I didn't run screaming into the parking lot. So there's that.

Dr. Winchester at St. Vincent's in Birmingham (Yes, I'm totally plugging her) is amazing. We got there at 4:30 pm. The appointment was at 5. We walked out at around 7:45 after being called back in around 7:00. When we first arrived, even at that late hour, the waiting room was full. Which was surprising, but not THAT surprising.

Because I have no cancer and no cells that may be cancer, my appointment consisted mainly of meeting, taking a measure of each other, and then getting my vitals and history. She made sure to give me all my choices to prevent cancer, aside from the mastectomy that I was there to talk about. She examined me and said I was perfect for what's called a "nipple sparing prophylactic mastectomy". We'll call that NSPM for short from now on. So she explained that she does the best NSPM ever and that my boobs are perfect for this procedure.

After the examine we discussed my history in depth more, because it was important that I tell her about my Hughes Syndrome (for more on that you can go here), as well as my other surgeries and to talk about a plastic surgeon. Originally I was going to go to Nashville for a consult, but after meeting Dr. Winchester, no. No ma'am. Staying right here in Birmingham. She said she would have a couple of names of people who would be able to work with my Hughes and still be able to do pretty work by the end of the month, so now we wait.

The really awesome part about this lady was that when I thanked her for being open and continuing to take patients into the late hour (after telling us "God Bless") she said, "Well, this is my calling." Then she smiled and walked out the door.

Andrew and I had been talking about how we weren't going to see anyone that didn't see this as helping women. Neither I nor he wants to pay someone who only wants to do what they want, the job, get the money, don't get sued, and go home. And I sincerely believe that this woman is an angel sent by God to do His work. So....

I turned to Andrew when the door shut and set, "We're not going to Nashville. We're staying right here with her."


It was a pretty encouraging meeting and I'm super excited to go ahead and get started on this. I have several school things planned for the summer and was going to take classes (which my dad thinks I can still do) so we'll see how it goes.

And then my sweet husband Andrew took me out for Italian food because we were STARVIIINNGGG and it was time to eat. So I got appetizers, food, salad, wine. And it was amazing. He makes me laugh. He's such a good guy. And he's staring at me waiting for me to finish this sooooo....

For now I'm going to sleep, because I have to leave for ORCS tomorrow.

Choose the happy!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Post Partum Depression: The Myth

I used to be like everyone. I figured PPD was mostly just a sad woman with a newborn who's hormones were  out of whack. Then when my son was born, we experienced a pretty traumatic birth and C section. My milk never came in. I started Reglan to help produce milk and it caused PPD. I saw a doctor, got off the meds, stopped trying to breastfeed, simple right? I'm fixed. 
Except it's not that simple. Yesterday my son turned 9 months old and I still struggle daily with PPD. Turns out it wasn't "just the medication". I'm in school full time. I don't work. I'm blessed to have my surprise miracle son, as well as the opportunity to stay home with him. But that's not right either, because PPD doesn't care how blessed you are. This is the silent struggle. The stigma. Sure, once we're all being candid behind our screens we'll talk about it. With strangers. With "internet friends". I mean, if you talk about it with PEOPLE you'll b…

He Will NOT Stop Crying!!

"He will NOT stop crying!"
That phrase characterized my son's first few months of life. Screaming, crying with no relief. Change the diaper, change the clothes, feed him, rock him. NOTHING HELPED!!
And I heard it all. "Oh he's colicky." and "well, he's just an irritable baby" (that gem was from his pediatrician) and "flip him end to end" and "he's just manipulating you" (yes- the four month old baby). 
I was an emotional, confused mess. All I could think was there was SOMETHING wrong with my sweet boy. I KNEW it. And no one would listen except my husband. As a first time mom, albeit a "maternally advanced" mom, you get treated like you just don't know. You get dismissed. But I digress.
Did you know that the sound of an infant's cries are used in torture? I am not surprised. Listening to the boy child cry was pure torture and all I could do was cry with him.
I went round and round with doctors, who wouldn…

High Risk Appointments and Ligament Stretching

Because I am going to be 35 when the baby is born, as well as my Hughes Syndrome, my OB thought it best that we consult with a high risk doctor at Maternal Fetal Medicine from UAB.  I was 10 weeks for that appointment and everything went great. They did an ultrasound and Andrew got to see the baby for the first time. Apparently our little Turner hears the music because during the ultrasound he was bobbing his head, almost like it was in tune to music.



This is 10 weeks of baby. My ligament stretching and pain has started and today it's been pretty bad. I can tell I'm pregnant thanks to my belly and I'm pretty shocked that I'm this big this fast. That being said, somehow, somewhere, I'm going to have to find a bra that holds these babies in. Because that is the other place that I'm rapidly expanding. 
Little Turner is growing quickly as well. Everything looked great. Heartbeat and all. And of course Daddy Andrew was just flabbergasted and excited.






So apparently e…